Lake Effect Snow Forecast for Great Lakes, Dangerous Wind Chills Across Upper Midwest
Cold, arctic air moving across the Upper Midwest will bring Lake Effect snow downwind of the Great Lakes through Thursday. Snowfall accumulations of 1-2 feet are expected in some locations. Meanwhile temperatures will be 10-20 degrees below normal from the Upper Midwest to the Southern Plains through Thursday. Wind Chill Advisories are in effect for parts of the Midwest.
Hazardous Weather Conditions
- Wind SpeedSW 6 km/h
- Barometer30.33 in (1028.0 mb)
- Dewpoint-12°C (10°F)
- Visibility16 km
Current conditions at
Springfield, Capital Airport (KSPI)
Lat: 39.86 Lon: -89.67 Elev: 586ft.
7 Day Forecast
- Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around -8. South southwest wind 11 to 14 km/h.
- Friday Snow likely, mainly after 3pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 1. South wind 11 to 16 km/h, with gusts as high as 24 km/h. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 centimeters possible.
- Friday Night Occasional snow. Low around -2. South southeast wind 5 to 11 km/h becoming east northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 centimeters possible.
- Saturday A 40 percent chance of snow before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 1. Northeast wind 5 to 10 km/h becoming north northwest 16 to 21 km/h in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 26 km/h.
- Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Northwest wind 16 to 21 km/h, with gusts as high as 26 km/h.
- Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near -5.
- Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9.
- Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 1.
- Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -5.
- Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 3.
- Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -6.
- Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 1.
- Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -6.
- Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 2.
Additional Forecasts and Information
Zone Area Forecast for Sangamon County, IL
HOURLY WEATHER GRAPH
NATIONAL DIGITAL FORECAST DATABASE